Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 30 Sep 09 at 14:12 PM

Defeat at Underhill

John Still's division pace-setters can usually be relied upon to create a number of chances in any game they play and always pose questions for their opponents, but in this encounter they did neither.

Barnet were indisputably worthy winners, but as manager Still admitted in his after-match press conference, the club where he had been both manager and director of football, didn't have to play that well or work that hard for the victory.

One of those nights is how the Daggers boss will have to regard this worst performance of the season and probably of many other campaigns, as well.

Daggers made one change from Saturday's line-up in the 1-1 draw with Morecambe, Danny Spiller, suffering a groin reaction, was on the bench and Jon Nurse was restored to the starting line-up.

Barnet were at Still's team from the first whistle and in the opening attack, Tony Roberts had to save, thrusting a Paul Furlong effort into the air and was thankful that Scott Griffiths was first to it to complete the clearance.

Roberts was in action again eight minutes later, when Furlong's strike partner John O'Flynn took advantage of a possible offside position to race clear, but Daggers veteran keeper made a trademark brave block with his body.

But on 21 minutes there was no stopping the eager Barnet forwards, the highly impressive Yannick Bolaise, who gave Scott Doe a very difficult evening, outpaced the young defender down Barnet's left, whipped in an excellent cross and Furlong fairly crashed it past Roberts from little more than six yards.

It was no more than the home side deserved, but Daggers didn't test Roberts' counterpart Jake Cole in the home goal until three minutes from the break, when they were awarded a rare free-kick. Danny Green lofted his effort straight into the keeper's arms.

Cole was extended much more when good work from Josh Scott dispossessed Micah Hyde, the Barnet skipper and sent Paul Benson away on a rare forward foray. Benson finished the move with a strong, low shot that Cole had to save at full length.

In stoppage time at the end of a disappointing half, Doe chased Bolaise across the face of the area, only to bring him down inside the box according to referee Phil Crossley. He awarded a penalty and with just about the last meaningful kick of the half, doubled Barnet's lead.

Daggers began the second-half with a lot more of the play, but couldn't create much in front of goal with the exception of a neat piece of work by Benson to fox Barnet's Gary Breen, only for Scott to be unable to take advantage.

Manager Still made a double change with 20 minutes remaining, trying Graeme Montgomery and Wes Thomas for Green and Scott.

The home side, clearly feeling the points were won, didn't exert themselves much in trying to extend their lead, although Hyde swerved an effort over after Daggers' defence got in a terrible tangle trying to clear an Albert Adomah cross.

Abu Ogogo was the third Daggers substitute used replacing Doe, who had got himself booked for a trip on Bolaise, after the defender had clearly felt he had been caught in the face by the flying wingman.

A late Daggers chance saw both Thomas and Will Antwi unsuccessfully attempt to hack in a good looking cross and as the game entered stoppage time, Peter Gain produced the side's best shot - a swerving effort that glanced the crossbar as it went over. The fact it came in 92 minutes tells its own story.

D&R: Roberts, Doe (Ogogo 76), Antwi, Arber, Griffiths, Green (Montgomery 70), Thurgood, Gain, Nurse, Benson, Scott (Thomas 70). Unused subs: Spiller, Bingham, Tejan-Sie, Lewington.

Att: 2,093 (512 D&R)

    Latest Match Reports