Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 at 20:35 PM

Daggers 3 Lincoln 0

After seeing several of his players go on to a higher level, John Still has regularly stated that those departures will create opportunities for others. The Daggers boss saw Solomon Taiwo depart to Cardiff this week and his absence created a starting spot for Jon Nurse against Lincoln, who duly proved his manager's point with two goals in a 3-0 win.

Nurse who played on the left side of midfield, allowing Peter Gain to form a centre partnership with Stuart Thurgood, struck with two very different goals. His first saw him burst through the visitors defence while the other was an opportunist close range finish. His two goals, together with Danny Green's measured strike, ensured it was a rather comfortable afternoon at the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham Stadium.

After a rather lethargic start, the Daggers took the lead with the game's first real attack.

A throw from Scott Griffiths made its way to Nurse. Perhaps a fortunate bounce helped Nurse power his way through the visitors defence, but the former Stevenage man showed terrific composure in slotting the ball past Rob Burch after the keeper came out to narrow the angle.

Green had a volley deflected over while a cross from Griffiths was so well hit that it bounced across the face of goal without a Dagenham and Redbridge attacker getting to it.

The Daggers thought they might have had a penalty. Nurse played in Gain beautifully. The midfielder skipped into the penalty area and thought he may have had his shirt pulled as he was about to strike. The referee however concluded otherwise.

It took the Imps almost half hour before they produced their first attack. Stefan Oakes played the ball into the area where Paul Connor got in ahead of Mark Arber, Connor challenged for the ball with Tony Roberts and as the ball bounced free in the area the referee decided to award the Daggers a free-kick.

Oakes later had a shot from distance that fizzed over before the Daggers once again took control and really should have been more than one ahead before the half time break.

Paul Benson won't want to be reminded of his miss. His strike partner Josh Scott did ever so well in getting past both Cian Hughton and Moses Swaibu. He drew Burch away from his line and squared the ball across goal. Unfortunately, just as the home fans were about to celebrate a second goal, Benson blasted over an unguarded net from six yards.

Nevertheless the Daggers still continued to press. Scott swivelled and struck a volley that was caught by Burch.

They got closer with the next attack. Benson hit a high ball in the area. Nurse seemed to hang in the air for an age before launching a header across goal, only to see the ball clip the top of the crossbar.

The Daggers hit the crossbar for the second time. This time Thurgood hit a cross-cum-shot with the outside of his right boot. The ball swung past Burch and rebounded off the crossbar.

Griffiths finished the half with a shot from twenty yards that Burch watched go wide of his right post.

The Daggers continued to be in the ascendancy and were rewarded with a second goal after 57 minutes.

Green found himself in acres of space inside the Lincoln area. Nevertheless Green conjured up a really cool finish as he curled the ball beyond Burch and into the top far corner of the net.

Lincoln didn't threaten much, one of their best efforts coming from Richard Butcher who turned and shot straight at Roberts.

The Daggers continued to look the hungrier of the teams, winning the vast majority of the 50-50 challenges. The sheer work rate of Still's side allowed Green to slip Griffiths clear. The full back tried to lob the keeper, but got just a little too much purchase on his effort as the ball flew over the bar.

The points were pretty much secured with twenty minutes left. Green's corner was headed back across goal by Arber and Nurse was on hand to poke the ball home from close range.

Rene Howe fired wide for the visitors as the game petered out. Still was able to introduce Graeme Montgomery from the bench as he came on for Green while young midfielder Billy Bingham made his first appearance in the last couple of minutes.

Scott was able to demonstrate his strength once again late on. He chested the ball down and struck a fierce volley that few a couple of yards over. Montgomery meanwhile lashed a volley across the face of goal. With the last attack Will Antwi had an effort cleared off the line as the Daggers comfortably saw out of the rest of the game.

    Latest Match Reports