Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 17 Aug 09 at 09:53 AM

Daggers win eight goal thriller

Eight goals certainly wasn't a bad way to start the season at the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham Stadium and the Daggers would have enjoyed it better than Torquay as they scored five of the eight to maintain their winning start to the League Two season.

It wasn't particularly a flowing start to the game and the Daggers didn't really get going in the first ten minutes.

It was the visitors who would have been the happier with the start. Wayne Carlisle had the first attempt on goal only to be crowded out by the Daggers defence.

The Daggers almost gifted the Gulls a goal after Mark Arber's back pass had Tony Roberts in a spot of bother. The keeper didn't exactly help the cause by failing to clear immediately and eventually he conceded a free-kick. His back four helped him out with the free-kick though as they kept Torquay at bay.

Arber was again involved, this time at the other end, as he scooped over the home's side first effort.

However, on 18 minutes the Daggers did find the target. A lot of the credit will have to go to Josh Scot, who cleverly laid the ball back into the direction of Peter Gain inside the Gulls penalty area. Gain swiped at the ball instantly and watched as the ball flew past Scott Bevan into the far corner of the Torquay goal.

The goal galvanised the Daggers and they looked hungry to extend their lead. Scott Griffiths fired a first time shot from the edge of the area that beat Bevan only to miss the post by a couple of inches.

Paul Benson had a shout for a penalty after he claimed to have been pulled by Chris Todd. The referee decided otherwise.

The centre forward was in the action moments later. Pulling down a high ball, turning, and then striking a left footed shot wide. Solomon Taiwo meanwhile hit a free-kick a yard or so over.

Torquay meanwhile looked lively on their left flank. Carlisle crossed for Tim Sills, whose header was pretty simple for Roberts to make a save.

Sills had a much better chance in Torquay's next attack. His strike partner Scott Rendell pulled the ball back from the goal line only for Sills to slice wide when he should really have equalised.

The Daggers responded with Taiwo hitting another free-kick from distance that smacked against the Gulls crossbar.

Taiwo started to pull the strings and a fantastic cross field pass found Danny Green on the right flank. Green turned the fullback inside before his low cross just failed to reach either Benson or Scott in front of goal.

The two home strikers combined just before the break. Scott found Benson, who may have been a little disappointed to see his side-footed effort go wide.

Just like the first half, it was Torquay who started better after the restart. Yet eleven minutes into the second half the Daggers were three ahead and the game looked done and dusted.

That was all down to Green who scored two in two minutes. His first was a terrific strike. Picking the ball up twenty yards from goal; the former Bishop's Stortford man drilled a low shot that skimmed along the ground and found the bottom corner of the net

Green's second goal was also a super strike. He benefited from a good Daggers move that involved both Taiwo and Scott. Green in turn forced his way into the penalty area and struck a fine shot that beat Bevan.

Torquay were given some hope of a comeback just after the hour. The referee spotted a foul by Arber on sub Elliot Benyon and pointed to the spot. Nicky Wroe stepped up and sent Roberts the wrong way.

The goal didn't seem to disrupt the Daggers momentum though and soon the three goal advantage was restored. Green aimed a corner kick at the near post and a classy back heal from Scott saw the ball squeeze into the net despite Bevan's efforts.

The scoring wasn't finished there. Kieran Charnock managed to get in a header at far post to get Torquay's second ten minutes from time.

Gain almost made it five. Found by Wes Thomas, he was unlucky to see his left footed strike rebound off Bevan's post.

Torquay went on to force a very nervous finale with a fantastic third goal. Sub Mustapha Carayol lined up a shot from midway inside the Daggers half. The shot was so well hit that Roberts could only stand and watch as the ball flew into his goal.

The Daggers had to survive four minutes of added time, in which Carayol forced Roberts into another save. Not only did they survive, they went on to score a fifth. Thomas swivelled and fired into the back of the net to make it two wins out of two for the Daggers.

Att: 1,824 (282 Torquay United)

Vicarage Field Daggers Man of the Match: Danny Green
Match stats click here

    Latest Match Reports