Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 10 Aug 09 at 12:32 PM

Opening day win at Crewe

The Daggers enjoyed a terrific start to the new season with an impressive win at Crewe Alexandra. Jon Nurse and Paul Benson were the goalscoring heroes and the result should leave the squad in great spirits ahead of a long League Two campaign.

Newboys Scott Doe, Will Antwi, Danny Green and Stuart Thurgood all started and it was Green who had Dagenham & Redbridge's first foray, but O'Donnell intercepted and cleared the danger inside the opening minute.

The Daggers had a corner in six minutes and it fell in the area but Benson couldn't get a vital touch in front of goal.Dagenham & Redbridge's good start continued and it looked as if they had take the lead when Sol Taiwo whipped in a 25 yard free-kick inches wide.

Crewe came back and from a Jones free-kick, a Calvin Zola header looked destined to count, but Roberts got a vital tip onto the crossbar.

After the visitors' bright start another Jones free-kick found Elding free on the far side of the area and he screwed his effort across goal when he should have done better.

John Still's side were still a threat however. Danny Green's free-kick after a foul by Schumacher saw Benson's on-target header deflected just past a post.

At the other end a high ball in from Brayford saw Roberts having to scramble at Grant's feet, but it worked as the keeper claimed the ball as the winger hesitated.

A terrible mix-up between O'Donnell and keeper Button saw Benson latch onto it from an acute angle but his effort crossed along the goalline.

But the visiting support didn't have to wait long to celebrate the first goal of the campaign. Two minutes from half-time when from 30 yards out Jon NURSE picked it up and whipped in an unstoppable, dipping effort for a spectacular opener for the season.

Jones put in a dangerous cross for the home side early in the second half and although Thurgood and Arber got in a tangle over the clearance, their combined efforts managed to clear the danger.

Grant slipped inside a couple of tackles, but his low drive well claimed by a falling Roberts.

Crewe's pressure almost told when they had the ball in the net in 55 minutes, when Grant whipped a low shot, but Elding was ruled to be offside and referee Hooper disallowed the effort.

Crewe eventually equalised on 72 mins when the ball was fed out to substitute Byron Moore on the left, he cut and arrowed a finely struck effort beyond Roberts for 1-1..

But Crewe weren't on terms for long. A long ball down the right saw BENSON do wonderfully to power past through challenges from O'Donnell and Jones and as he tumbled he lifted the ball over Button for a fine solo goal.

It was almost 3-1 when sub Wes Thomas got over a cross from the right, it reached Gain but his shot on the turn was tipped away well by Button.

There were great shouts for a Crewe penalty when Grant went down turning past Antwi, but referee Hooper waved away all appeals.

First half hero Jon Nurse limped off and he was replaced by Abu Ogogo as the Daggers looked to hold onto their lead.

Moore who was making a difference for Crewe cut in and hit another well struck effort that winged wide. The Daggers however saw out the rest of the game and celebrated a super first result of the year.

Att: 3,936 (147 D&R)

    Latest Match Reports